Monday, March 30, 2009

Q's Tips.





Hip Hop Heads use to live in my house before me. When Cassette and record players werent completely out of style. Before the limewire and itunes were created. I use to blow dust off of my aunt and uncles old CD's and records. Specially when my mom bought me my first pair of viable headphones you couldnt get music out of my hands without me winning,"just oooone more pleaseee". However of course,one more always turned into way past my bedtime.


One day,home alone for hours.i sat in the middle of my living room with Numerous CD's outlining my body like chalk on the ground after a homocide. From Teddy Campbell to Notorious B.I.G to Mos Def.Thats when i discovered Q-Tip's "Amplified" (1999) i was intrigued with the unique voice coming from my head phones. I thought it couldnt be Real. So i said "F It!" and i put the CD on the house stero and blasted the hell out of that CD.

With songs like "Do It" and "Wait Up" how could you not feel it thump through your chest. But when number 10 came on, "Vivrant Thing" i knew i was hooked. Thats the first time i had heard a song so intelligent when talking about Life and Women all in one. And i loved the line,
"Sweeter than Ben & Jerry
Can i Rhyme? Well you know i get mines
Sitting 'round in my abstract part
This abstract thing goin abstract far,yo"

boy ooooh boy.that was my jammy jam.
i must have danced in the giant mirror as our wall with that song on repeat until my mom came back home that night. By that time i had learned all the words and memorized every break and breath. Was walking around telling my mom "oooh momma! these mashed potatoes are VIVRANT!!"







Music just isnt the same anymore.i truely believe i was born in the wrong generation. But everything is recycled anyways. Im am going to be the 18 year old,female verison of the Q-Tip's,Common's,Mos Def's. The rappers that are actually talking about something.I refuse to be the next lil mama. or the next big soulja boy.lol. nooooo.

on another note.check out Q-Tip's latest Album. Its FIRE.






No comments: